This spring, Short Fiction Break is partnering with The Write Practice to host a writing contest in which everyone gets published.
We invite all writers to write a new story inspired by the theme of our contest; workshop it in Becoming Writer, our partner writing community; and submit it for publication here at Short Fiction Break. We believe good stories are meant to be shared, and so all writers who participate may be published if they choose.
Theme: Best Bad Choice. Your character is faced with a tough dilemma, and neither option is a good one. Write a story where someone must make a best bad choice.
Maximum length: 1,500 words
Enrollment deadline: Enrollment closes on Tuesday, March 27 at 11:59 pm PT.
The panel of judges will select eight winning stories. These winners will receive:
ONE GRAND PRIZE: The grand prize winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. The winner will be invited to become a monthly contributor to the literary magazine.
They’ll receive one year of free premium membership to Becoming Writer, normally $360, as well as a cash prize of $300.
This prize is valued at $480.
TWO RUNNERS-UP: Two runners-up will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. They will also receive one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180, and a $100 cash prize each.
This prize is valued at $280 each.
FIVE HONORABLE MENTIONS: The honorable mentions will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
ALL SUBMISSIONS: All writers who submit a story to this contest will be published here at Short Fiction Break.*
Winners will be announced mid-May.
READERS’ CHOICE AWARD: Those who choose to have their stories published will be entered for the Readers’ Choice Award. Readers and fellow contest participants will have a week to vote for their favorite story, and the winner will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
*Authors who do not wish to be published may opt out.
The prizes for this contest are provided by the following sponsors:
Becoming Writer: Becoming Writer is the premier workshopping community from The Write Practice. Contest participants receive six weeks’ access to the workshopping community to get feedback on their short stories, novel chapters, and other writing pieces.
Participants in this contest get three bonus eBooks worth $30:
- The Write Practice’s guide How to Win a Writing Contest,
- The bestselling book on writing short stories, Let’s Write a Short Story, and
- The companion workbook, 15 Days to Write and Submit a Short Story.
We offer four entry options for this contest:
Standard Entry: $30. This includes entry to the contest, story workshopping, and six weeks of access to Becoming Writer, our partner writing community (normally $25).
Premium Entry: $50. This includes all of the above, as well as personalized feedback from the judges on your story. With this entry, you’ll grow as a writer as you learn what drew the judges to your story or why it was not selected.
Becoming Writer: $15/month. This includes entry to the contest, story workshopping, and full access to Becoming Writer. Best of all, you’ll get unlimited entry to ALL our future writing contests, four per year!
Becoming Writer Premium: $25/month. This includes all of the above, as well as personalized feedback from the judges on your story and the ability to workshop unlimited writing pieces in Becoming Writer each week. This is the BEST way to grow as a writer.
FULL CONTEST RULES
- Write a new story based on the contest theme: Best Bad Choice. Your character is faced with a tough dilemma, and neither option is a good one. Write a story where someone must make a best bad choice.
- Join the Becoming Writer community. For six weeks, you’ll have access to Becoming Writer, a supportive, encouraging community of writers who will help you workshop your story.
- Finish your story. This isn’t just a writing contest. We want to give you accountability to write something new. We’ll give you the support you need to write a new story of up to 1,500 words.
- Workshop your story. After you finish your story, share it in Becoming Writer and receive valuable feedback from other writers. Then, edit your story so that it’s the best it can be.
- Submit your story to the judges. After your story is workshopped, you can submit the final draft to the judges.
- Get published! We know you’ve worked hard to write a great story, and we want to share it with the world. Every writer who enters has the option of getting published here at Short Fiction Break. Whether the judges select your piece or not, you’ll get the exposure your writing deserves.
- Get feedback from the judges! If you choose the premium entry, you’ll also get personalized feedback about why your story was or wasn’t selected by the judges.
- The winners. The judges will choose several winning stories. These top stories will receive featured spots on Short Fiction Break. They will also publicized to The Write Practice’s community of readers.
Enter now! Enrollment for participation in the contest is only open until Tuesday, March 27 at 11:59 pm PT and your story is due for workshopping Monday, April 2. Your final submission is due Monday, April 9. The sooner you enroll, the more time you have to write a better story. Sign up below!
JOIN THE CONTEST
Would you like to enter the Spring Writing Contest? Enroll in the contest here.
We look forward to reading your stories.