WRITING CONTEST GUIDELINES
We invite all writers to write a new story inspired by the theme of our contest; workshop it in Becoming Writer, our partner writing community; and submit it for publication here at Short Fiction Break. We believe good stories are meant to be shared, and so all writers who participate may be published if they choose.
Maximum length: 1,000 words.
Contest theme: Choose one of the following prompts to base your story on:
- What happens when Jeanette Tanner finds out that her father, a New York City police officer, is a vampire?
- What if a pack of werewolves takes over the mean streets of South Central Los Angeles?
- You see an otherworldly creature on the way to work. No one else can see it. What do you do?
- Tell us about a secret government facility tasked with cloning every dead American president.
- What will the American government do when it finds out that the Chinese Premier can read minds?
- What happens when Admiral Peter Kane’s fleet of starships gets ambushed by the Russian Federation?
- What will NCIS Special Agent John Rathbone do when he’s forced to retire because of a botched investigation?
- A washed-up Medal of Honor recipient walks into a bar. What happens next?
- What if a CIA-sanctioned assassination of a foreign president goes awry?
Deadlines and dates:
- Thursday, June 8: Enrollment deadline. You must enroll for the contest by this date to participate.
- Monday, June 12: Your story is due for workshopping in Becoming Writer.
- Monday, June 19: Your final submission is due.
Ready to join the contest? Enter the contest here.
WRITING CONTEST PRIZES
The panel of judges will select eight winning stories. These winners will receive:
ONE GRAND PRIZE: The grand prize winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break. The winner will be invited to become a monthly contributor to the literary magazine.
They’ll receive one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180, as well as a cash prize of $300.
This prize is valued at $480.
ONE SECOND PLACE WINNER: The second place winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
He or she will also receive one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180, and a $150 cash prize.
This prize is valued at $330.
ONE THIRD PLACE WINNER: The third place winning story will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
He or she will also receive one year of free membership to Becoming Writer, normally $180, and a $50 cash prize.
This prize is valued at $230.
FIVE HONORABLE MENTIONS: The honorable mentions will have their stories featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
ALL SUBMISSIONS: All writers who submit a story to this contest will be published here at Short Fiction Break.*
Winners will be announced mid-July.
READERS’ CHOICE AWARD: Those who choose to have their stories published will be entered for the Readers’ Choice Award. Readers and fellow contest participants will have a week to vote for their favorite story, and the winner will be featured on the front page of Short Fiction Break.
*Authors who do not wish to be published may opt out.
WRITING CONTEST SPONSORS
The prizes for this contest are provided by the following sponsors:
JBD Entertainment: JBD Entertainment is a publishing company focused on giving readers and viewers their next great adventure. JBD Entertainment is always on the lookout for talented authors. If you’d like to learn more about publishing with them, you can submit your information here.
Becoming Writer: Becoming Writer is the premier workshopping community from The Write Practice. Contest participants receive six weeks’ access to the workshopping community to get feedback on their short stories, novel chapters, and other writing pieces.
Real Artists Don’t Starve: Real Artists Don’t Starve, the new book by bestselling author Jeff Goins, debunks the myth of the starving artist and replaces it with timeless strategies for artistic thriving. Preorder this amazing book here.
Participants in this contest get four bonus eBooks worth $35:
Plus, the first 100 entries get a free SIGNED copy of bestselling author Jeff Goins’s new book, Real Artists Don’t Starve.
We offer four entry options for this contest:
Standard Entry: $30. This includes entry to the contest, story workshopping, and six weeks of premium access to Becoming Writer, our partner writing community (normally $25).
The total value is $99, but entrants pay $30.
Premium Entry: $50. This includes all of the above, as well as personalized feedback on your story from a publisher. With this entry, you’ll grow as a writer as you learn what drew the judges to your story or why it was not selected.
Becoming Writer: $15/month. This includes unlimited access to writing contests (4 / year) and story workshopping on one story per week. Plus, you’ll get special bonuses and discounts exclusive to the Becoming Writer community.
Becoming Writer Premium: $25/month. This includes all the perks of Becoming Writer membership, plus personalized feedback on your story from a publisher. You’ll also get to workshop unlimited stories per week.
FULL CONTEST RULES
- Write a new story based on the contest theme. See the themes above.
- Join the Becoming Writer community. For six weeks, you’ll have access to Becoming Writer, a supportive, encouraging community of writers who will help you workshop your story.
- Finish your story. This isn’t just a writing contest. We want to give you accountability to write something new. We’ll give you the support you need to write a new story of up to 1,000 words.
- Workshop your story. After you finish your story, share it in Becoming Writer and receive valuable feedback from other writers. Then, edit your story so that it’s the best it can be.
- Submit your story to the judges. After your story is workshopped, you can submit the final draft to the judges at JBD Entertainment who will review your story for publication.
- Get published! We know you’ve worked hard to write a great story, and we want to share it with the world. Every writer who enters has the option of getting published here at Short Fiction Break. Whether the judges select your piece or not, you’ll get the exposure your writing deserves.
- Get feedback from the judges! If you choose the premium entry, you’ll also get personalized feedback about why your story was or wasn’t selected by the judges.
- The winners. The judges will choose several winning stories. These top stories will receive featured spots on Short Fiction Break. They will also be publicized to The Write Practice’s community of readers.
Enter now! Enrollment for participation in the contest is open only until Thursday, June 8 at 11:59 pm PT and your story is due for workshopping Monday, June 12. Your final submission is due Monday, June 19. The sooner you enroll, the more time you have to write a better story. Sign up below!
JOIN THE CONTEST
Would you like to enter the Summer Writing Contest? Enroll in the contest here. We look forward to reading your stories.